His name allegedly derives from his German mother Irmalin’s having experienced a sudden kick from her unborn boy while enjoying a DaVinci painting at the Uffizi. In the year following his birth, she and his Italian father, George, were divorced. He grew up in Echo Park, then a particularly seedy, drug-dominated area of Los Angeles.
At the age of 30 he thought himself as the luckiest little bustard. Its little funny that he can cope with any kind of age and situation. He can act as a child as well as an older man. He act perfectly and deliver his best in the role whatever it is although he was dropped from his first TV show for his uncontrolled behaviour. From 2002 to present his movies are the best. Even for the rating whereas more than 7.2 is the ratings of his movies in this period of time. Titanic(1997), Marvin’s Room(1996), Romeo+Juliet(1996)Total Eclipse (1995) are the revolutionary movies of his life. However he is really a lucky little bustard beacause his second movie was Poison Ivy(1992) although it is not that popular movie but the fact is movie was based on sexual relationship where a seductive teen befriends an introverted high school student and schemes her way into the lives of her wealthy family.
The Boy’s life(1993) was his first successive movie in Hollywood.The story about the relationship between a rebellious 50s teenager and his abusive father, based on the memoirs of writerand literature professor Tobias Wolff. It was rated 7.2 out of 10 that time by 50,000 voters.
The same year he was showed up with Jhonny depp in another blockbuster romantic movie What’s eating Gilbert Grape(1993). The rating was 7.7 for the movie. For this movie he was nominated for the first time in the Oscar and Golden Globes as Best actor in a Supporting role at 1994 and won the NBR Award for the same role, CFCA Awards as emerging actor.
The Foot shooting party(1994) was the worst movie ever in his carrer although it is my point of view. The Quick and The Dead(1995) was a nice movie although I should give credit to Sharone Stone for her stunning performance in that movie as well as another legendary actor Russel crowe. In the same year The basketball diaries(1995) was another biographical movie of Leonardo. Actually, I havn’t seen that in a year two superhit movies by the same actor in Hollywood except Leonardo DiCaprio.
From 1996 Leonardo DiCaprio is history. His movies are the best he is the best, unpredictable and perfect.
As an Actor his carrer..
- The Chancellor Manuscript (2011) (announced) …. Peter Chancellor
- The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt (2011) (announced) …. Theodore Roosevelt
- Inception (2010) (pre-production) …. Jake
- Beat the Reaper (2010) (pre-production) (rumored)
- Shutter Island (2009) (post-production) …. Teddy Daniels
- Revolutionary Road (2008) …. Frank Wheeler
- Body of Lies (2008) …. Roger Ferris
- Blood Diamond (2006) …. Danny Archer
… aka Blood Diamond (Germany)
- The Departed (2006) …. Billy Costigan
- The Aviator (2004) …. Howard Hughes
… aka Aviator (Germany)
- Catch Me If You Can (2002) …. Frank Abagnale Jr.
- Gangs of New York (2002) …. Amsterdam Vallon
- Don’s Plum (2001) …. Derek
- The Beach (2000/I) …. Richard
- Celebrity (1998) …. Brandon Darrow
- The Man in the Iron Mask (1998/I) …. King Louis XIV / Philippe
- Titanic (1997) …. Jack Dawson
- Marvin’s Room (1996) …. Hank
- Romeo + Juliet (1996) …. Romeo
… aka Romeo and Juliet
… aka William Shakespeare’s Romeo + Juliet (USA: complete title)
- Total Eclipse (1995) …. Arthur Rimbaud
… aka Eclipse totale (France: DVD title)
… aka Rimbaud Verlaine (France)
- The Basketball Diaries (1995) …. Jim Carroll
… aka Streets of New York (International: English title: video title)
- The Quick and the Dead (1995) …. Fee Herod “The Kid”
- Les cent et une nuits de Simon Cinéma (1995) (uncredited) …. Un acteur muet à Hollywood (complete version)
… aka A Hundred and One Nights
… aka A Hundred and One Nights of Simon Cinema
… aka Les cent et une nuits (France: short title)
- The Foot Shooting Party (1994) …. Bud
- What’s Eating Gilbert Grape (1993) …. Arnie Grape
- This Boy’s Life (1993) …. Tobias ‘Toby’ Wolff
- “Growing Pains” …. Luke Brower (23 episodes, 1991-1992)
– The Last Picture Show: Part 1 (1992) TV episode (credit only) …. Luke Brower
– The Wrath of Con Ed (1992) TV episode (credit only) …. Luke Brower
– Maggie’s Brilliant Career (1992) TV episode …. Luke Brower
– The Truck Stops Here (1992) TV episode …. Luke Brower
– Don’t Go Changin’ (1992) TV episode …. Luke Brower
- Poison Ivy (1992) (as Leonardo Di Caprio) …. Guy
- Critters 3 (1991) …. Josh
… aka Critters 3: You Are What They Eat (USA)
- “Roseanne” …. Darlene’s Classmate (1 episode, 1991)
– Home-Ec (1991) TV episode (uncredited) …. Darlene’s Classmate
- “Santa Barbara” (1984) TV series …. Young Mason Capwell (unknown episodes, 1990)
- “The New Lassie” …. Young Boy (1 episode, 1990)
– Livewire (1990) TV episode …. Young Boy
- “Parenthood” (1990) TV series …. Garry Buckman (unknown episodes)
For more information plaese check thses links.